Excursions in Barbiano and surroundings
Castle Trostburg in Ponte Gardena:
The Castle Trostburg in Ponte Gardena is a medieval castle from the 12th century, which in the 17th century was expanded into a fortified fortress and today is one of the most impressive castles in theIsarcoValley. The minstrel Oswald von Wolkenstein grew up in these historic walls. The Castle Trostbug may be visited during a guided tour.
Three Churches in Barbiano:
Three Churches in Barbiano is an appealing destination, which can be reached on a hike. There are three nested churches that were built between the 13th and 16th century in a small forest clearing.
An amazing natural spectacle is offered by the Barbiano Waterfalls. The river Ganda tumbles down over several rocky steps into the depths. The highest waterfall has a drop height of85 meters. A wild and romantic hiking trail leads from the lower waterfall to the upper levels.
Archeoparc in Villandro:
The Archeoparc in Villandro is located on a prehistoric and early historic settlement site. Here you may visit settlement remains from the Neolithic period, as well as extensive building sites dating back to Roman and medieval periods.
At the Mine Museum Fundres close to Villandro ore has been mined since the Middle Ages. After extensive renovations, the historic mines have been opened to the public and can be visited on a guided tour.
Church of the Apostles:
The Church of the Apostles in Chiusa is a single-nave Gothic building, which was built around the middle of the 15th century as a parish church. A striking feature of the church is the pyramid-shaped roof structure and the typical Gothic pointed arch windows.
Sabiona Monastery in Chiusa:
High above Chiusa rises on the Monastery of Sabiona, which represents one of the most important pilgrimage sites inSouth Tyrol. The ancient monastic site has been used for approximately 300 years ago by a religious women’s order and is still inhabited by nuns. Three churches and a monastery chapel can be visited in Sabiona.
Varlet Chapel Saint Anna in Villandro:
A worthwhile destination in Villandro is the Varlet Chapel of Saint Anna – for more than 150 years it was the religious centre for the miners of Fundres. The early Baroque building was inaugurated in 1736 and is idyllically situated on the edge of the forest near theMiningMuseum.
Parish Church of St. Stephen and St. Lawrence in Villandro:
The Parish Church of St.Stephen and St. Lawrence rises in the centre of Villandro and was inaugurated in 1521. With its stained glass from the 16th century, the neo-Gothic decorations and the oil paintings of Franz Sebald Unterberger, the church is an artistic gem in theIsarcoValley.
Totenkirchl in Villandro:
At an altitude of 2,186 meters above sea level, the Totenkirchl (“Death Church”) rises on the Alpe di Villandro. The small chapel can be reached via a four kilometer long Via Crucis with a total of 14 stations.