Excursionsin Barbiano and surroundings
Castle Trostburg in Ponte Gardena
The Castle Trostburg in Ponte Gardena is a medieval castle from the 12th century, which in the 17th century was expanded into a fortified fortress and today is one of the most impressive castles in theIsarcoValley. The minstrel Oswald von Wolkenstein grew up in these historic walls. The Castle Trostbug may be visited during a guided tour.
Three Churches in Barbiano
Three Churches in Barbiano is an appealing destination, which can be reached on a hike. There are three nested churches that were built between the 13th and 16th century in a small forest clearing.
An amazing natural spectacle is offered by the Barbiano Waterfalls. The river Ganda tumbles down over several rocky steps into the depths. The highest waterfall has a drop height of85 meters. A wild and romantic hiking trail leads from the lower waterfall to the upper levels.
Archeoparc in Villandro
The Archeoparc in Villandro is located on a prehistoric and early historic settlement site. Here you may visit settlement remains from the Neolithic period, as well as extensive building sites dating back to Roman and medieval periods.
At the Mine Museum Fundres close to Villandro ore has been mined since the Middle Ages. After extensive renovations, the historic mines have been opened to the public and can be visited on a guided tour.
Church of the Apostles
The Church of the Apostles in Chiusa is a single-nave Gothic building, which was built around the middle of the 15th century as a parish church. A striking feature of the church is the pyramid-shaped roof structure and the typical Gothic pointed arch windows.
Sabiona Monastery in Chiusa
High above Chiusa rises on the Monastery of Sabiona, which represents one of the most important pilgrimage sites inSouth Tyrol. The ancient monastic site has been used for approximately 300 years ago by a religious women’s order and is still inhabited by nuns. Three churches and a monastery chapel can be visited in Sabiona.
Varlet Chapel Saint Anna in Villandro
A worthwhile destination in Villandro is the Varlet Chapel of Saint Anna – for more than 150 years it was the religious centre for the miners of Fundres. The early Baroque building was inaugurated in 1736 and is idyllically situated on the edge of the forest near theMiningMuseum.
Parish Church of St. Stephen and St. Lawrence in Villandro
The Parish Church of St.Stephen and St. Lawrence rises in the centre of Villandro and was inaugurated in 1521. With its stained glass from the 16th century, the neo-Gothic decorations and the oil paintings of Franz Sebald Unterberger, the church is an artistic gem in theIsarcoValley.
Totenkirchl in Villandro
At an altitude of 2,186 meters above sea level, the Totenkirchl (“Death Church”) rises on the Alpe di Villandro. The small chapel can be reached via a four kilometer long Via Crucis with a total of 14 stations.
and around Barbiano
Holy Trinity Church in Colma
TheTrinityChurchin Colma was inaugurated in 1588 – it was formerly connected by a wooden walkway to the Customs House. After a devastating fire in 1938, it has been completely renovated.
Holy Grave Chapel in Barbiano
The small churchof Saint Ingenuinand Albuin in Sant’Ingenuino is located below the road that connects Ponte Gardena with Barbiano. The chapel was probably built in the 17th century and features a simple Baroque altar. Three roadside crosses are located in the immediate vicinity of the little church.
Church of Saint Ingenuin and Albuin
The churchof Saint Ingenuinand Albuin in Sant’Ingenuino was first mentioned in 1398 and took its present form in the 15th century. The Gothic church is a popular attraction for art lovers in theIsarcoValley.
Leonhard Church in Colma
Just off the highway in Colma, the Leonhard Church rises with its impressive bell wall façade. In the 17th century, the church was extended by two side chapels with picturesque turrets.
Parish Church of St. Jacob in Barbiano
The parish church in Barbiano was first mentioned in1378. Astriking feature of the church is the leaning church tower with its octagonal tip. On the high altar in the interior, there is a copy of the Wechselburger Crucifixion Group.
Holy Cross, Monastery and Church of Our Lady
An artistic jewel in Chiusa is the Holy Cross, Monastery and Churchof Our Lady. It dates from the 17th century and is decorated with precious wall and ceiling paintings.
Capuchin Church in Chiusa
The CapuchinChurchin Chiusa is the abbey church of the Capuchin Order and was built together with the monastery in 1699-1701. It features elaborate paintings and altarpieces from the 17th and 18th centuries.
Church of Saint Valentin in Verdines
The Romanesque Church of Saint Valentin in Verdines was first mentioned at the beginning of the 13th century. In its interior you may admire murals and ornate frescoes from different centuries.
Parish Church of Saint Andrew in Chiusa
The first mention of the parish church in Chiusa dates back to the year 1208. The church was built in Romanesque style, and then rebuilt in the late 15th century in Gothic style.
Saint Michael’s Church at the cemetery in Villandro
Just steps away from the main church there is the cemetery church in Villandro, which today is used as a mortuary. The building dates from the year 1344 and is surrounded by a cemetery, which with its wrought grave crosses counts among the most beautiful in theIsarcoValley.
Church of Saint Valentin in Villandro
Featuring ornate frescos, the Churchof Saint Valentinin Villandro was inaugurated in the early 14th century. After a fire in 1400, an impressive Gothic stellar vault was added to the building.